This weekend ownCloud turns 5 (5 years old, not 5.0 :P), congratulations to Frank Karlitschek and the entire ownCloud community!
This date also marks (more or less) the third anniversary of my first encounter with the ownCloud community. Shamelessly, I date it back to a comment I posted on the Youtube video of Frank’s original keynote at Camp KDE. Jeez, back then I didn’t even know how to set Youtube on html5!
Anyway, in this blog post I don’t want to praise what ownCloud has become, neither talk about my personal involvement in the ownCloud project (I assure you it went a bit further than that youtube comment :P). Instead I want to celebrate ownCloud’s birthday by collecting a list of third party projects to which ownClouders have contributed. In order for the contribution to be part of this collection, it needs to satisfy the following constraints:
- the contribution makes sense to exist independently from ownCloud;
- the itch to make that contribution was felt while writing ownCloud code or doing stuff related to ownCloud;
- the contribution did somehow benefit ownCloud.
Let me start with a list of vulnerabilities that Lukas Reschke and ownCloud’s security team have reported to some widely used libraries.
Next is a list of other PHP libraries to which ownClouders have contributed patches.
- getID3 has benefited a lot from Morris Jobke’s work on the Music app — see for example, this commit derived by this issue report;
- After the News app switched to picoFeed as the feed parser library, Bernhard Posselt has helped the maintainer of the library with numerous contributions;
- Doctrine — see commits by ownClouders bantu, bartv2, PVince81, DeepDiver1975 to the Doctrine Database Abstraction Layer;
- sabre/dav — see commits by ownClouders tanghus, schiesbn, DeepDiver1975, LukasReschke;
- Punic — improvements on the library were dictated by performance analysis at ownCloud (see, for instance, Lukas Reschke’ PR)
Interactions between projects is what I value the most in Open Source and I am happy that five years of ownCloud have also meant five years of contributions to a multitude of other projects.
Happy birthday and best wishes for (at least) another lustrum!
Edit: added one more projects and more links.